Thursday, March 13, 2014

preserved duck in vieux québec

Preserved duck. The image of duck jerky is conjured up in my head, it doesn’t sound appetising. Salted then drowned in its own fat. That sounds even more disgusting.

It’s quite a feat for French Women to not Get Fat. Considering how butter laden, fat drenched, delectable dessert aplenty French cuisine can be. Our guide for the Québec walking tour recommended to us the Bistro Sous le Fort, a modern yet cosy little bistro, where we ordered the beef spare ribs and the duck confit.

Côtes levées au gingembre et à la root beer - $23.95

Le deux cuisses de canard confites - $24.95
The spare ribs were marinated in ginger and root beer, served with a side French fries and coleslaw, though it was delicious, it didn’t exactly fall off the bone as I would’ve liked it to.

On the other hand, the said preserved duck -- duck confit -- was a revelation. Having never had it before, I didn’t expect it to be so delicious! Fork tender, melting in the mouth, with crispy skin, I could eat 5 of those in one sitting. Long after I left Canada, the taste of the duck stayed with me, so much so that it made me want to cook them myself.

Restaurant Bistro Sous Le Fort on Urbanspoon
Bistro Sous le Fort
48 Rue Sous le Fort
Québec QUÉBEC
Open 7 days 9am-10pm
Related Posts with Thumbnails